FAQFrequently Asked Questions and Answers at University Information Sessions

Some of the questions that have actually been asked at previous university information sessions have been excerpted and modified, and the corresponding answers are listed below.


What is formative expression?

The specific subjects of the examinations are beyond the scope of this document, so it is best to refer to past questions.

What should I study in Formative Expression?

There are many different ways for students to learn drawing, but most students seem to prepare in their own way for the plastic expression exam. Even if you don't go as far as going to an art college prep school, it is a good idea to ask your high school art teacher to take a look at past papers and discuss them with you.

Can I enter if I'm not good at drawing?

Your drawing skills will always improve with practice. The first step is to learn to love drawing so that you can keep practicing without getting bored. Painting progresses not only by drawing, but also by looking at it. It is important to learn about your favorite paintings and artists by visiting exhibitions and art books. If you have a broad interest in not only so-called art, but also comics and illustration, your weakness will disappear.

I would like to know more about General recommendation.

First, please contact the Admissions Office at the university office.

What is the difference between an art college and other comprehensive universities?

As a department in the Faculty of System Design, we are able to receive instruction in a variety of design areas while crossing over into advanced engineering fields. If you refer toAssociation of Design Departments and Schools in Japanese Public Universities, you can see what other universities in the design field are doing.

Can I enter if I am a liberal arts major?

Mathematics is required for the second examination. For details, please refer to past questions. (As of August 2020, there is no mathematics or plastic arts in the general recommendation. Please refer to the application guideline for details.

Learning and living matters

Do I need an aesthetic sense?

Design requires an aesthetic sense of design, not so-called pictorial beauty or pictorial mind. It could be said that it is a logical and mathematical beauty, such as accuracy and consistency. This sense should be honed through the effort of trying to communicate correctly by first drawing correctly.

Do I need programming?

No programming knowledge is required at the time of enrollment. The curriculum is designed to help students improve their skills step by step, starting with basic courses for beginners. Programming is one of the most powerful tools for sharing your thoughts with others, just like natural languages such as Japanese and English, mathematical equations, drawings, and sculptures. Don't you think that the more options you have, the better, as a means of bringing your ideas to as many people as possible?

Can you afford to work part-time?

I think it depends on how you use your time. Some students have a part-time job, while others do not.

Do I need to be able to use a computer?

If you can't even type on a computer, you may not be able to complete assignments and reports. Of course, students are expected to have more skills than that. In addition, basic PC operation, how to use e-mail, and how to write reports using MS-Office are required courses for all students in the first semester of their first year.

I would like to know about the content of your research and the state of your laboratory. Also, what kind of research are the actual students (senior students) doing?

Please refer to each studio page. You can see what each laboratory looks like from the studio in the menu at the top right of this site.

I am thinking of studying abroad. Does the department have a system or track record to support study abroad?

The support for study abroad is much more substantial than at other universities, including scholarships offered by the university as a whole and by the Hino Campus itself. The Department of Art also encourages students to study abroad, and through exchanges with overseas research institutes, we are able to conduct ongoing medium- to short-term exchanges. The university-wide efforts are led by the university's International Center. You may refer to this website for more information.Tokyo Metropolitan University International Center, International Affairs Division

Is there support for students with developmental disabilities?

In addition to developmental disabilities, the university has an Office of Diversity Promotion, which is proactively working to provide consideration, structure, and support for students with disabilities.

Are there any qualifications I can get?

The Department of Industrial Arts offers the following three qualifications.
Curator: Students are required to take the prescribed courses in the curatorial training program and complete museum practical training.
Interior Planner: Students must complete the required course credits and graduate in order to be eligible to take the exam. (At least two years of work experience after graduation is required to obtain the qualification.
Assistant Commercial Facility Planner: Students must complete the required course credits to be eligible to take the exam.

Do you always go into one of the studios?

Yes, you will always be assigned to one of the studios, where you will do your graduation research.

What is your career path after graduation?

There are two main types: employment and higher education. There are also a few cases where students start their own businesses. Specific employment opportunities may be listed on each laboratory's page on the Open Campus website, so please check there.

Will there be additional amounts to pay for materials, training, etc. other than tuition?

For general subjects, you may need to purchase textbooks. In specialized courses, you may need to purchase art materials, craft tools, and materials for your design assignments. Although the university has computers that can be used in common, we recommend that you purchase your own computer in order to create a learning environment.

Is there anything I need to do before I enter the school?

It goes without saying that you need to develop the skills required for the exam, but what is actually more important is your physical and mental health. Eat a good breakfast every day, exercise in a way that suits you, and try to keep a regular routine.


What is industrial art?

Please refer to the department website.

Is there ramen in the school cafeteria?

There are many kinds of ramen available. At the Co-op cafeteria on Minami-Osawa Campus, you can enjoy not only the standard soy sauce and miso flavors, but also a variety of local ramen from all over Japan for a limited time.